Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Kilkenny, Ireland

Mystery Explained!

Why does the the teacher ask little Johnny in the classroom if he has to go "number one" or "number two" when deciding if he will be allowed to go now, or wait until recess?

All the toilets here have flush buttons on top rather than levers on the front. Buttons, plural. They are each roughly half of a circle, and are labeled with a single bump on one, and a double bump on the other (blind people use toilets too! but they probably don't read this particular blog, so if that seemed insensitive they won't care). Pressing the number two button also brings down the number one button, for a "large" flush, pressing the number one button just does a "small" flush.

Of course, maybe they label them that way just because of little Johnny in the classroom. Perhaps this is just a "chicken or the egg" scenario!


Blog Comments

Thank you to everyone who has left comments on various posts here. It is nice to know that my friends occasionally drop by to read what's up and let me know they are still alive too :) Since Mom asked, yes, I do read all the comments that everyone posts here, even if I don't respond with another comment. I did post a comment-response a couple times, then it occurred to me that likely people do not come back to check the comments thread once they have left their comment, and thus the replies would never be read by their intended recipient :p so.. not so many more of those in the future, methinks. If you absolutely must have a reply to something, email me! I won't guarantee instant, or even timely, replies, but I do generally reply to the vast majority of my email :)


Postcards!

I actually have in my possession two postcards. They both have the same picture on them, but that is alright because I will not send them both to the same person... I picked them up at a theater in Dublin for three reasons:
1) They were free
2) The picture is awesome
3) They were free

However! I did not bring anyone's address. The only addresses I know by heart are those of you who I have known since I was a child and you have never moved.. so... Dad, that's you. The rest of you, if you ever want to receive a postcard from me on this trip, need to email me your postal address! Of course, this does not guarantee a deluge of postcards, but I will send out some now and then if there are willing recipients. Please only use my gmail or hotmail addresses, as those are the only ones I am checking on this trip (mostly that's all any of you have anyway, but just being thorough).

I will not be like Lucy's dad though... Lucy is this Englishwoman I met in Killarney, and she claims that every time her dad goes as far away as the next town for a day trip, she gets at least one postcard, and if he is gone for a month or more, her mailbox explodes. EXPLODES! I promise not to do that. Ever.


The Bard's Puppy

Today I went for a very long walk, intending to reach the Dunmore Caves (about 10km out of town). I turned around about 4km into the journey since I wasn't keen on pneumonia, was already soaked, and the roads here.. even the national routes [ie, highways] like what I was walking on, have NO SHOULDERS. For the most part I'd just hop up into the flora whenever a line of vehicles came by [happily there was a one-lane closure for a construction site on edge of town, so all the vehicles came in spurts], but some parts of the road have not only no shoulder, but rising immediately from the edge of the pavement (about 3cm clearance from a bus mirror), 6 feet of ground topped by a thick hedge. So, as they say here, "no fecking way". I would have taken a picture of the hedge-tunnel-highway but the rain would have probably destroyed ye olde camerae.eea.a.e. (I think the reason they did not invent cameras in the middle ages is that they did not have a way to spell it)

Anyway.. the reason for the title of this section: near the beginning of the trip, this little white and brown puppy was standing, looking quite beleaguered, near the sidewalk. He came up to me as I walked by, so I scratched his ears and went on my way. After this, he followed me for about a quarter mile... I felt rather like The Bard, and had to send the puppy away lest a huge pterodactyl lunge out of the sky and flatten him like a pancake. (Which is what happened to the Bard's dog, whom he befriended in much the same way, and who looked almost identical, in case you have never played the game). It took some urging, but eventually he went.. home? Dunno. Back down the road at any rate.


More Pictures?

Not today.. this net cafe does not have accessible USB ports. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will get some of the backlog posted! Tomorrow I am going to France, and I do not know what the net cafe situation will be like there just yet. If you never hear from me again, it is because I fell in the ocean :p [taking the ferry from Rosslare, Ireland to Cherbourg, France]

5 comments:

Laurel said...

OK!! So....yes...some of us really DO go back and read your responses to our posts!! So, please feel FREE to continue doing so!! Because it is enjoyed!!
You're learning all kinds of cool information! Thanks for sharing with us!
Love you!!
Be safe!!!!

Scrapnqueen said...

Have fun in France! (And Mom's not the only one in the habit of checking on old comment threads.)

Hope you managed to avert pneumonia along with the certain death of walking on the road!

Love.

Chris said...

Dood... your posts are hilarious. You're doin' something I always wished I coulda done, so... hope you don't mind if I live vicarious-like through ya... how come you aren't going to France through "The Chunnel"?? THAT would be cool...

Chris L.

Logan said...

aw, damn, I missed my chance to take the cool boat trip? nuts.

Oh well, I'm already in France now... learning cool information, as Talena said, like "how to type on a French keyboard," which has even more things rearranged than the UK versions.

Laurel said...

Hmmmm....I think da mamma made da comment about cool information!! Although I'm SURE da sister WOULD have made da comment.....